Tuesday, July 1, 2014

India

India…long overdue blog entry.  I was in Mumbai India for a week over New Years, Dec 30-Jan 6, 2014 with an organization called Rahab’s Rope.  A short term team of 4 (3 Americans and I), had the priveledge of assisting the Rahab's Rope staff set up a Christmas party for the women and girls in one of the Red Light areas. 

So why did I go?  Well over the past few years I've become more aware of modern day sex slavery/trafficking and a few of awful dynamics and injustice it entails.  While in Bangladesh, a collegue of mine introduced me to Rahab's Rope and their ministry in India.  I started following them on facebook and learned about this short term opportunity. 

A bit of info on Rahab's Rope:
‘Rahab's Rope is an organization that exists to give hope and opportunity to women and girls that are at risk or have been forced into the commercial sex trade of India. By creating a safe and loving environment, they are enabled to grow and develop physically, mentally, and spiritually. Our work provides basic education and vocational training for each girl and woman who come through our centers; ultimately, allowing them to integrate into their communities in a positive and constructive manner.  We are a faith based non-profit organization that desires to follow Jesus' teaching and direction on every step of the journey. Our vision is to see lives transformed by God's love in action.’ www.rahabsrope.com 

   Here's a great clip about trafficking in India:
My flights were delayed and I ended up getting into Mumbai a day later then the team.  Loved my welcome greeting :)

Mumbai Christmas team - Christina, Megan, Julia and myself.

Pastor and part of his family who hosted us.  Such a lovely couple with an amazing ministry and beautiful example to follow!!
My lovely roomate Julia in our little apartment suite. 

Oh those eastern style toilets...

View looking out our balcony (Hindu temple on the right with the yellow sign).

We took the train from the place we were staying to one of the red light areas where Rahab's Rope works.  
Waiting for the train.  I'm amazed at how well developed their public transportation is.



No comments: