Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I miss...

Hard to believe it's been more then two months since arriving home in Canada from Bangladesh.  In some aspects it seems like a long time ago, other moments it seems like yesterday.  Not a day goes by I don't think and pray about it.  I'm not done blogging...yet.  There's still more to say and share, I'm just a bit behind.

I miss having cha tea and samosa's everyday for tea, I miss hanging out at the mess eating icecream or just drinking more cha tea and being in Bengali friends company.  I miss the students cheery faces twice a week at 7am in the hospital saying 'Goodmorning madam' or 'Sister, what does this mean?'.  I miss seeing them learn something I've taught them...and remember it a week later, ok sometimes :)  I miss laughing with them, in practical time, in the hospital, and in my Bangla communication.  I miss laughing with Ashim and Sadonna in the college office about random things.

I miss chatting with the Bengali hospital staff the night before clinical or during clinical hours and them laughing at my butchered Bangla.  I miss all the medics...and all the times I was treated to tea.  I miss seeing their heart and pride involved in the care they give.  I miss curry.

I miss the missionaries...Susan, Lisa, and Glenda at the college, other medical and nonmedical missionaires, 24 nights with the Longs/Weldy's and of course Christel and Lynette - pumpkin curry, chocolate dessert balls, movie nights, night swims, and of course our chats. 

Through all the challenges faced by everyone from multiple directions it's so comforting to know God is Sovereign and we can rest in that.  Coming home and having a chance to reflect, pray, read God's word, and process thoughts - He's teaching me so many new things!  Reading different missionaries biographies and different mission magazines, it's comforting to know and see other missionaries dealing with challenges and how God is working through that. 

I miss being able to relate to others about Bangladesh.  I'm so blessed to have had the opportunity to experience what I did, yet part of me is so sad to not have shared that with someone here at home.  Just to be able to chat about it and what's happening there now, to agree with someone about it in prayer - not that people don't care but to have that personal connection.  I am thankful at least for email and facebook to keep somewhat in contact with what's happening half way around the world. 

A verse shared by one of my Bengali friends:
Joshua 24:15  'But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.'

How this rings so true not only in Bangladesh but here at home. I'm so thankful that God's word is applicable universally!

Memorial Christian College of Health Sciences

 Sadonna - the cleaner, provider of tea, and 'Mashi' of the college

Tea time

Johanna, Hanna, and Bipasha

The men.

Ashim - the answerer of my million questions

Susan - coworker, supporter, and friend

Lynette - my Riverside Inn roomate :)

Christel (Obstetrician Dr) and Suhki (medic)

No comments: